Netgear routers have to be installed and configured when first trying to use them. For that, the user will have to set it up. There are a number of ways that the router can be setup up with. The user can opt to go to www.routerlogin.net or they can choose to go to the default IP address which is 192.168.1.1. Logging in to your network is very important as it will help you secure your network and provide security. You can even choose to set up a personalized password in case you don’t want to share your network with people or don’t want anybody to use your network without your permission as very sensitive information passes through your network such as banking information, your private information and so on. So for all the reasons mentioned, it is recommended that the user must secure their network after installing and logging in to their routers.
When first taken out of the box, you will need to install the router, log in to the router and secure the network. There are a number of ways through which the router can be installed and logged in. The routers also require firmware upgrades which sometimes can be somewhat of a hassle for not so tech savvy people. The firmware upgrade brings new added features to the router’s firmware as well as fixes the previous issues that the user might have been facing. Also, it will help upgrade the security on the router so that the users experience a safe and secure network. Usually the router will automatically update your routers firmware but in some cases, the router fails to update its firmware itself. Then you will have to manually download and install the firmware update yourself. It will be explained step by step here.
You can open up any web browser and access the Netgear router login page. In order to do that, you will have to go to the default IP address which is 192.168.1.1. Most of the Netgear routers have this as their default IP address. From there on, you can configure your router as you wish. Alternatively, if the default IP address doesn’t work for some unknown reason, you can always opt to go to www.routerlogin.net to configure your router by putting in the default username and password on the display page when it prompts you for the username and password to login in. It will then take you to the Setup Wizard where you can configure your router as you wish.
How to Configure the Netgear Router for cable internet connection
You will need an Ethernet cable to setup the router through the wired connection.
- First of all, connect the modem to the internet port of the router and connect your computer to any of the LAN port of the router.
- Switch the computer, router and the modem off and then, switch them on so that they can finish booting up.
- Now, open up any web browser and go to the address bar and type 192.168.1.1 which is the default IP address of most of the Netgear routers. If by any chance this doesn’t work, you can alternatively go to www.routerlogin.net.
- A display window will then prompt you to put in the username and the password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”. If by chance your default password doesn’t work, then the password might have been changed. The customized password will be needed in that case.
If you have forgotten the password, then a factory reset will be needed to restore the router to its factory defaults.
- Click the Setup Wizard. A screen will then display.
- Select Yes and then click Next. The setup wizard will try to detect the type of internet connection that you have. For all the cable internet connections, the Setup Wizard will detect Dynamic IP.
- Click Next to save the settings.
The router will then save the settings.
How to configure the Netgear Router via a wireless connection
If you do not possess a desktop computer while installing your Netgear Router, you can always opt for a wireless laptop, Smartphone or any tablet.
- Connect the Ethernet cable from your modem to the internet port of your Netgear Router.
- Turn on your Netgear Router and wait for the LED lights to become stable.
- Turn on your modem and wait for the lights to become stable.
- On the wireless device, open the Wi-Fi connection manager and find the network name of your network and connect to it.
- It will then prompt you to type in the password. Type it in.
- Open any web browser on your device. The Netgear Genie will automatically display. If by some off chance the Netgear Genie does not display, then you can type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar and type in the default username and the password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”.
- Follow the steps provided in the Netgear Genie to configure and install your Netgear Router.
How to reset your Netgear Router
Sometimes the user may forget or misplace the personalized passphrase that they set up for their network. In that case, they will need to set up a new password and for that, a factory reset is needed to restore the Netgear router to its default factory settings. Make sure the router is connected to a power source and it is on. Here are some steps to reset your Netgear Router:
- First, locate the Reset button on the back of the router.
- Now, using a small pin or something similar press the reset button and hold it for about seven seconds.
- Release the reset button after seven seconds. After releasing the reset button, the LED lights on the router will start flashing. The power light will then turn solid green. It may be white in some of the newer models.
Your Netgear router will have successfully rebooted to its default factory settings. You can now login to your Netgear router by going to www.routerlogin.net.
How to reset the password or passphrase on the Netgear Router
If by some chance you have forgotten the personalized password or you need to change the default password for security concerns, then you will have to reset the password of your router. For that, here are some steps:
1. Launch any web browser and type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar and press Enter. A login window will display.
2. You will be then prompted to put in the username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”.
If you cannot login to your router, then that means you must have set a personalized password. In that case, you will have to enter that password.
If you have forgotten it, then a factory reset is needed.
3. Select WIRELESS.
4. Enter the desired username in the SSID field.
5. Enter your personalized passphrase in the password field.
6. Click the Apply button. Your settings will be saved.
Netgear have made it really easy for its users to configure the router themselves and change the settings suitable to their needs. The user can just go to www.routerlogin.net and configure the Netgear Router via the Netgear Genie software.
How to recover the admin password on the Netgear Router
It is recommended that the password recovery is enabled if the user decides to change the default password. With that, the personalized password can be recovered in case it is misplaced or forgotten. Make sure you have the serial number of the router with you during the password recovery. Here are some steps to recover the password for the Netgear Router:
1. Open up any web browser and type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar. A login window will display.
2. Click the Cancel button.
If the password recovery is enabled, you will be prompted to enter the serial number of the router. The serial number is provided on the product label.
3. Enter the serial number of the router.
4. Click the Continue button. After clicking on the Continue button, a screen will display requesting the answers to your security questions.
5. Enter all the answers to the security questions.
6. Click the Continue button. A screen will display with your recovered password.
7. Click the Login Again button. A login window will display.
8. With your recovered password, you can log in to your router again.
How to upgrade your Netgear Router Firmware
A Firmware upgrade is very crucial in keeping your network secure and for a smooth experience. The Netgear Router Firmware updates are released regularly. Usually the user is notified when any update is due but it can be checked manually and updated. Here are some steps to update your router’s firmware:
- Open the NETGEAR Download Center and download the latest firmware of your router.
- Open up any web browser. It is recommended that the router and the device are connected via an Ethernet cable.
- Type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar and press Enter. It will take you to the login page.
- Enter the username and the password. The username and password are case sensitive.
- Click ADVANCED and then select Administration.
- You will see a Router Update or Firmware Update option. The option might vary with different router models.
- Click on Choose File.
- Locate the firmware that you initially downloaded and upload it. The router will then start to install the latest firmware.
Note: Do not interrupt this process as it might lead to some issues and your router might not work. Once the router has finished updating, it will automatically reboot itself. You can now start using your internet.